It's fixed now!

Really boring stuff more than usual ahead. You've been warned.

I had written some new routines for the website, involving ranking photos and captioning. See, I lost some enthusiasm about the whole process (details missing on purpose) and some features were left out and I just didn't feel like implementing them. I wrote some new routines recently and they are working FINE on my trusty local machine, and then I upload the code to the server (which I can't see, touch or see logs, or errors GRRRR) and a gremlin error appears.

Yes, I got frustrated enough that I called tech support HOPING they have a computer programmer that knows what's going on. Since I can't see the error logs, I ask her what the message says on her screen since she is on the server. I get put on hold, wait, wait. Can't connect to SQL Server blah blah blah. Light Bulb!!! I had just installed AJAX and used ASP 2.0 stuff. Now, I deduced why it wasn't working. I thanked the tech for all the help. Easy call, eh? Close that help desk ticket in five minutes!

Version 2.0 is the latest, but my host was using 1.1 when I first signed up in Dec '05. When 2.0 came out, they didn't switch me to 2.0 which WILL run 1.1 code. They left my plan on the 1.1 which obviously didn't understand the new 2.0 stuff.

I logged into my admin account and requested my plan be moved to the 2.0 plan which costs the same and is identical in features except the version. Why they do that? I don't know. I'm on a new server over there somewhere, and everything works fine. But, I'll try to make it look nicer before I enable it. Which reminds me that I didn't pick up my book at Barnes and Noble. I'll get it before I go to my daugther's game tomorrow (if no rain).

No comments: