Road Rage

Sunday started off well. But evidently, I ruined it for another driver yesterday. I had just been talking about whether it was worth it to start an altercation about someone's driving. So, as we pull into the parking lot that gives us the right of way, and makes everyone else stop as a stream of cars pour in, something that I should have predicted happens.

I see a car approaching and they have a stop sign, but I don't. I signal left, and then start turning since I figure that they have to STOP, and then they either turn or go, but regardless they have to STOP.

A few seconds later, I find a spot, stop and back-in. I look forward and notice a man yelling at me and asking why I cut him off, and that the parking spot that I had should have been his. I told him that I didn't see him and that I was backing in, and I apologized. He told me that this was a bad way to start his Sunday. He said not worry about the spot it's yours. OK, split second decision here; continue what he started or just brush it off and go and get breakfast. I had already apologized and he was being antagonistic. So, I made my decision and I roll down my window.

But we were on two different pages to begin with I thought he was referring to the parking spot, but he was referring to the STOP sign and me going, and the spot being the salt. I told him one, I didn't have a stop sign and you did, and he was still rolling to the STOP sign when I started my turn. He responds by stating that I was rude to cut him off. But then, I notice that maybe his wife is wanting to escalate this over what? Something this stupid? I have the "my legs work fine, I'll park way over there in the boonies, no problem mentality."

They follow us in the restaurant. Then again, another decision: diffuse, or escalate. I say, "Wow, looks like this could get out of control on both our parts. I extend my hand, and he reaches out and shakes my hand. Ten minutes later, they relenquish their spot in line and leave.

Reminds me of an experience just hours before driving to Midland, Texas in late July...

No comments: