Massacre at Virginia Tech

What can be said when something like this happens? A 23 year old student, Cho Seung-Hui, kills 33 and injures 12 on campus and now he sets the "record," with a .22 cal, and a 9mm. Instantly, people are wondering where security was? What disaster plan was in place? How did this happen? Another Columbine situation? All the details aren't in, yet, so the what caused him to feel compeled to do this won't be answered today.

I remember when I had just graduated from High School and James Huberty killed 21, and hurt about the same amount at McDonalds in San Ysidro, the very same one that I bought large fries, and a strawberry sundae with my friends. He was down and out and just walked to the restaurant. One of my teachers called me at home wondering if I was ok, but I wasn't home. I was with my girlfriend buying a new outfit for her. I didn't hear until I got home.

And how did the word spread when it happened this time? CNN, MySpace, facebook, IM, email, text and phone, etc...

The weird thought that I had was that some disturbed person will not just try to kill himself but also take out as many as they can with them. My buddy said something to the effect that I was wrong.

People seem to have accepted (not shown on the news 24/7) that your friends might get killed in an auto accident or drunk driver; it happens more often. But, if they die in group, in a place where things like this shouldn't happen, does it hurt that family any more?

Sadly, I think that a movie theater, mall, parade, park, sporting event, etc...where it's impossible to search everyone will be next for the mass murderer. This is just one more way to die that shouldn't be and now throw in copycats wanting their eternal fame and it just increases the chances.

I believe that that a new warning system will be implemented at schools. You will be required to provide your cell number so that the administration can broadcast a text message to your phone in case of an emergency.

What do you think?

No comments: