Microsoft Virtual Earth versus Google Maps

Tonight, I took my trusty GPS to plot out a new course for my running, or walking depending if I'm being lazy. I walked around the entire block and measure it out to 0.65 miles (1.05 km). I didn't do the little cul de sacs, so that may have come out closer to 1 mile.

I went to Google Maps to see if there is good dirt (that word makes me grin) trail and see where they lead, but they didn't even have my house plotted on it after THREE YEARS. So, I went to Microsoft Virtual Earth and punched in my address; it mapped the wrong house. No biggie, just moved the pushpin over. But it showed my place! I can CLEARLY see everything from all four directions. I told my friend that I could even see myself on the trail; you have to pick the south view, and look on the trail.

I liked that google maps will let me punch in GPS coordinates and I couldn't see how to do that in the Microsoft Maps. Some mashups and it can be coded to plot automatically.

The plan is to code a gps enabled mobile os device to transmit wirelessly to the internet and report-in in realtime, or everytime it stops and plot. My current version, drivers have to manually scan a trip log (a sheet with stops barcoded) when they arrive at a destination.

Yes, I'm a geek!

No comments: