Wagon Wheel to the Back

I met a new friend at the gym today while waiting for my court. We talked for about ten minutes before it was my turn to play in the racquetball court and I asked her if she wanted to play. She said that she was a beginner and didn't want to waste my time, but she came in the court anyway.

After a few pointers, she was smacking the ball around. I kept hitting the ball so that she could get the hang of where she was supposed to be. Then out of the blue, she says, "I know you can hit the ball harder than that!" On the VERY NEXT serve, she goes to the wrong side...yup, right to my forehand off a ball to the back wall. I had taken a second to see what direction she was going to see what to do but as I took my eye off of her, she moved DIRECTLY in line with my shot. I hit her in the back about five centimeters down from her right shoulder blade.

She not only "warned the tribe" but started to cry. I felt soooo bad, but probably not as bad as she did. I've been hit before and I know how much it hurts. We sat down while she recovered and she asked me to lift the back of her shirt to see if it left a mark - it did, nice and red.

As we leave, I buy a smoothie for her; it's the least I could do...