Genaro Wilson Ordered Released By Judge

I was just teaching Heather what the word "Draconian" was on our way back home from Big Bear and gave her some examples. I do this on a regular basis and she goes on along with the program. It's the price for having dad drive you around! But, a day after I discuss this, a judicial verdict is released concerning Genaro Wilson.

Have you heard about his case? He's in prison serving a TEN year sentence for allowing a 15 year old girl to perform oral sex on him New Year's Eve in 2003, when he was 17. The act was determined to be consensual but the charge brought against him was "Aggravated Child Molestation," bases on the law concerning children 15 or under. If they had just "regular" sex then it would have been only a misdemeanor.

He was convicted and required to be registered as a sexual predator. Attempts to free him were denied! But, in a twist of irony, his case resulted in the change of the law. Was he released then? NO! They didn't release Genaro because the case wasn't grandfathered in.

I'm not a lawyer but I can tell the spirit of the original law and intent. Based on the result, it's clear that the law wasn't well thought out. Once convicted, opportunities to correct a wrong were dismissed. Will the state file an appeal? YES! What are they thinking?

Imagine what laws that you aren't aware of could be used by an overzealous district attorney's office against YOU!

3 comments:

Arlene said...

I'm sure there are a ton of laws I'm not aware of that could screw me :-)

Anonymous said...

I am sure that some of the them would be fun to break! ;)

Mary Anne said...

so many obscure laws. i'm sure i'm breaking at least 7 of them right now while i'm sitting here breathing and typing and thinking.