Testing My Extender


I decided today would be a good day to test the 1.4x/2.0x extenders at Heather's softball practice. Here's a pix through the fence while she was batting. Don't ya love her cleats? I noticed that I was able to get some closer macro shots with the extender. The photos were a little softer (blurry) and the auto focus was slightly slower but this is on a 70-200 2.8L IS, so it is still fast. I didn't use the stablizer. But I wanted to test the reach so when the girls went into the "run for that ball" drills then I captured this shot...


I hope to get some of these shots in an actual game starting on Saturday, our first tournament. The uniforms still haven't come in yet. Maybe they'll be getting them right before game time!

So, the experiment went well. You're not gonna get $5,000 quality from a $250 add-on to an expensive lense. I borrowed a 300L mm lense and it was fast and clear. But I don't like the fixed lenses that much. I only have one (50mm 1.4).

Canon makes a 28-350mm lense, not prime, though, but they don't advertise it, but is still sold. I don't need one but I wouldn't mind having it! Talk about a range, and combine that with the extender...but, there is the the loss of f-stops: one for the 1.4, and 2 for the 2.0.

I could get the same shot and then crop, but don't really like doing that either. Some tournaments don't let me on the field, but I manage to get some good shots anyway. I'll get one of those kitchen folding steps, and shoot over the fence

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since it seems you have a variety of lens, how heavy is the 70-200 lens, 300? Do I need a monopod?

Sam said...

IMO it's not heavy, but your arm will feel it. My ex, could hold it up but used her body to prop it up some times. I have a nice monopod but since the weight doesn't bother me, it was mostly in case she needed.

It has a nice swivel for a monopod though, so you can go portrait or landscape easily.

Arlene said...

Shooting over the fence is a great idea!
Love the shot of her!!!!