Technical Support

First, I got several IMs this morning from you guys, most like this: "You there? alive? No update last night as usual!!! lol" Yes, I'm ok! It's when it's several days or so that something is wrong!

I get to my friends house and dinner is ready, perfect timing! We eat the yummy meal (had the camera but forgot take any pics) and kick back for a second and then get down to business.

First thing I check is the obvious stuff: plugged in, turned on, power strip, etc...One of my first trouble ticket calls when I started my first job (17 y.o.) was an officer that put in a "Priority Ticket," because his computer wasn't working. I drive down to the base from HQ ASAP with the GI Van. I get there and turn the powerstrip on! hehe. He told me he'd buy my lunch if I didn't tell anyone. I logged it as power supply issues when I got back. :)

Anyway, back to the computer. The router was working, the modem was, computer was, uh...ipconfig showed an IP, released and renewed, and a new IP, so I knew there was communication, but no internet! Disabled firewalls, etc...connected modem direct to wall - Nothing!

I call tech support and the lady is reading off her checklist. Total waste of time. I asked to test the line, and then got sent to a higher level tech lady, and I could tell she was reading too, still no good, then finally the last tech was a guy that wasn't reading, he asked what I had tried. PPoE configuration didn't work for the desktop, but worked for the laptop. Finally, got everything to work.

Come to find out, one of the problems was a filter not attached to the phone jack!

1 comment:

michele said...

It's like a running commentary of your life!